National Education Technology Plan
The National Education Technology Plan is the flagship educational technology policy document for the United States. The Plan articulates a vision of equity, active use, and collaborative leadership to make everywhere, all-the-time learning possible.
Higher Education National Education Technology Plan
The Higher Education National Education Technology Plan embraces the themes of lifelong learning, equity, and accessibility and supports the NETP’s assertion that technology must serve the needs of a diverse group of students with differing educational goals, but who share the desire to obtain a postsecondary credential.
Building Technology Infrastructure for Learning
This guide provides practical, actionable information intended to help district leaders (superintendents, principals, and teacher leaders) navigate the many decisions required to deliver cutting-edge connectivity to students.
Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Teaching and Learning
This new policy report addresses the clear need for sharing knowledge, engaging educators, and refining technology plans and policies for artificial intelligence (AI) use in education. The report describes AI as a rapidly-advancing set of technologies for recognizing patterns in data and automating actions, and guides educators in understanding what these emerging technologies can do to advance educational goals—while evaluating and limiting key risks.
Home Access Playbook
This Playbook outlines seven strategies, or “plays,” that state leaders are taking to address issues of home internet and device access for students.
Keep Students Connected and Learning Wireless Brief
This brief presents strategies for deploying off-campus wireless networks as a sustainable solution to provide home connectivity to all students and educators.
Educational Technology in Teacher Preparation
This policy brief identifies key challenges and solutions to the effective integration of technology in teacher preparation, provides guiding principles on how to move the field toward effective integration of technology in teacher preparation programs, and identifies areas of opportunity and collaboration for stakeholders across the field.
Early Learning and Educational Technology
This brief, issued jointly by ED and HHS, will help those who care for nearly 36 million children from birth to age eight make wise decisions about media use and provides four guiding principles for families and early educators on the use of technology with young children.
Ed Tech Developer’s Guide
This guide for developers, startups and entrepreneurs addresses key questions about the education ecosystem and highlights critical needs and opportunities to develop digital tools and apps for learning.
#GoOpen District Launch Packet
This resource is designed for districts that have decided to implement a systematic approach to incorporating openly licensed educational resources into their curriculum.
Professional Learning Through Online Communities of Practice
This brief summarizes research on the role of online communities of practice and social networks in supporting the professional performance of educators.
This issue brief is intended to help policymakers and administrators understand how analytics and data mining have been—and can be—applied for educational improvement while rigorously protecting student privacy.
Our Expanding Evidence report calls for smart change by presenting educators, policymakers, and funders with an expanded view of evidence approaches and sources of data that can help them with decision-making about learning resources in a fast-changing, technology-powered world.
Designing Online Communities of Practice
This report details the results of exploratory research on how to design and manage online communities of practice for educators and provides preliminary empirical evidence that participation in online communities creates value for educators, their students, and their schools and districts, defines a set of common questions and challenges that new communities must negotiate, and presents a set of design features that are most strongly associated with creating value for new communities.
Other Research & Reports
- Digital Learning Guides
- Supporting English Learners through Technology: What Districts and Teachers Say about Digital Learning Resources for English Learners (2019)
- Educator Toolkit | Using Educational Technology — 21st Century Supports for English Learners (2019)
- Developer Toolkit | Creating Educational Technology for English Learners (2019)
- Learning Technology Effectiveness Brief (2014)
- Characteristics of Future Ready Leadership: A Research Synthesis
- Understanding the Implications of Online Learning for Educational Productivity (2012)
- International Experiences with Technology in Education (2011)
- National Education Data Model (NEDM) (2011)
- Teachers’ Ability to Use Data to Inform Instruction: Challenges and Supports (2011)
- Transforming American Education: Learning Powered by Technology (National Educational Technology Plan 2010)
- Use of Educational Data at the Local Level: From Accountability to Instructional Improvement (2010)
- Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies (2009)
- Implementing Data-Informed Decision Making in Schools: Teacher Access, Supports and Use (2009)
- Teachers’ Use of Student Data Systems to Improve Instruction: 2005-2007 (2008)
- Teachers’ Use of Student Data Systems to Improve Instruction (2007)
- Distance Education Courses for Public Elementary and Secondary School Students: 2009-10 (2011)
- Teachers’ Use of Educational Technology in U.S. Public Schools: 2009 (2010)
- Educational Technology in U.S. Public Schools: Fall 2008 (2010)
- Educational Technology in Public School Districts: Fall 2008 [First Look] (2009)
- Distance Education at Degree-Granting Postsecondary Institutions: 2006-07 (2008)
- Technology-Based Distance Education Courses for Public Elementary and Secondary School Students: 2002–03 and 2004–05 (2008)
- Educational Technology in Teacher Education Programs for Initial Licensure (2007)
- Internet Access in U.S. Public Schools and Classrooms: 1994-2005 (2006)
- Distance Education Courses for Public Elementary and Secondary School Students: 2002-03 (2005)
- Distance Education at Degree-Granting Postsecondary Institutions: 2000-2001 (2003)
- Evaluation of the Enhancing Education Through Technology Program: Final Report (2009)
- National Educational Technology Trends Study: Local-level Data Summary (2008)
- National Educational Technology Trends Study State Strategies Report: Vol.1 (2007)
- National Educational Technology Trends Study State Strategies Report: Vol. 2 (2007)