What We Do
The U.S. Department of Education Office of Educational Technology (OET) develops national educational technology policy and establishes the vision for how technology can be used to transform teaching and learning and how to make everywhere, all-the-time learning possible for early learners through K-12, higher education, and adult education.
OET carries out its mission by:
- Promoting equity of access to transformational learning experiences enabled by technology;
- Supporting personalized professional learning for state, district and school leaders and educators;
- Ensuring all learners are connected to broadband internet in their classrooms and have access to high-quality, affordable digital learning resources at school and at home;
- Fostering a robust ecosystem of entrepreneurs and innovators; and,
- Leading cutting-edge research to provide new types of evidence and to customize and improve learning.
OET resides in the Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development and works in collaboration with other Department offices federal agencies on issues related to the effective use of technology to support teaching and learning. OET is also the primary Department of Education office for outreach to the ed tech developer community.