#GoOpen DistrictsThrough the #GoOpen initiative, the U.S. Department of Education supports States, districts and educators using openly licensed educational materials to transform teaching and learning.
The #GoOpen initiative and the growing network of States, districts, and educators has not only provided a space for robust discussions about the merits of OER, but also supported broader dialogue and dissemination of information on the policies and practices that impact teaching, learning, and collaboration. #GoOpen State and district leaders are documenting and sharing new approaches to professional learning for teachers, and curating resources that offer students and teachers options for personalizing learning, and strategies to support curating, creating, adapting and sharing OER. Read our #GoOpen Exchange press release and our Open Education Symposium fact sheet for more on these commitments.
Openly licensed educational resources have enormous potential to increase access to high-quality education opportunities in the United States. Switching to openly licensed educational materials has enabled school districts to repurpose funding typically spent on textbooks for other pressing needs, such as investing in the transition to digital learning. Visit our Open Education page to learn how resources that are openly licensed can benefit schools.
What it means to #GoOpen
School districts that #GoOpen are committing to transition to using high-quality, openly licensed educational resources in their schools. These districts will be supported by #GoOpen Ambassador districts who have already taken steps toward implementing the use of openly licensed materials at the district-level.
#GoOpen Launch Districts:
- Identify a district #GoOpen team who will work to develop a strategy for the implementation of openly-licensed educational materials.
- Commit to replace at least one textbook with openly-licensed educational materials in the next year.
- Document and share their implementation process.
#GoOpen Ambassador Districts:
- Mentor #GoOpen Launch Districts as they design and implement their strategy for transitioning to openly licensed educational resources.
- Share the openly licensed materials they’ve created.
If you are interested in becoming a #GoOpen Launch or Ambassador District, please email email@example.com.
Upcoming #GoOpen Regional Summits
Iowa & Nebraska Multi-Site #GoOpen Summit
Monday, June 11, 2018
Council Bluffs, IA, Cedar Rapids, IA, Calmar, IA, Kearney, NE
Organized by AEA Learning Online, Cedar Rapids School District, ESU 3, ESU 10, Grant Wood AEA, Green Hills AEA, Keystone AEA, and Lewis Central Community School District.
How to #GoOpen
Across the country, districts are choosing to #GoOpen and transitioning to the use of openly licensed educational resources to improve student learning in their schools. This resource is designed for districts that have decided to implement a systematic approach to incorporating openly licensed educational resources into their curriculum by becoming a #GoOpen District.
Stories from the Field
Launch and Ambassador Districts using openly-licensed educational resources in their schools share strategies and advice for districts working to #GoOpen. By amplifying great stories and sharing good practices, we hope to connect districts, schools, and educators so they can learn from each other’s experiences.
Want to share your #GoOpen story? Send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org!
#GoOpen Launch Districts
- Decatur City Schools, AL
- Athens City Schools, AL
- Cajon Valley Union School District, CA
- Carlsbad Unified School District, CA
- Coachella Valley Unified School District, CA
- Coronado Unified School District, CA
- Encinitas Union School District, CA
- Fallbrook Union Elementary School District, CA
- Huntington Beach Union School District, CA
- Leadership Public Schools, CA
- Madera Unified School District, CA
- Mountain Empire Unified School District, CA
- Napa Valley Unified School District, CA
- Oceanside Unified School District, CA
- Oxnard Union High School District, CA
- Panama Buena Vista Unified School District, CA
- Riverside Unified School District, CA
- San Antonio Union School District, CA
- San Diego Unified School District, CA
- Colorado Digital BOCES, CO
- Connecticut Technical High School System, CT
- Greenwich Public Schools, CT
- Colonial Public Schools, DE
- Red Clay School District, DE
- Broward County Public Schools, FL
- Orange County Public Schools, FL
- The School District of Palm Beach County, FL
- Forsyth County Public Schools, GA
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, IA
- Council Bluffs Community Schools, IA
- Lewis Central CSD, IA
- United Community School District, IA
- Nampa School District, ID
- DeKalb CUSD #428, IL
- Illini Bluffs CUSD #327, IL
- Macomb CUSD #185, IL
- Urbana School District 116, IL
- East Noble School Corporation, IN
- Hamilton Southeastern Schools, IN
- Noblesville School District, IN
- MSD Warren Township, IN
- MSD Southwest Allen County, IN
- Topeka Public Schools, KS
- Burlington Public Schools, MA
- Medfield Public Schools, MA
- North Reading Public Schools, MA
- Anne Arundel Public Schools, MD
- Howard County Public Schools, MD
- Dryden Community Schools, MI
- Marlette Community Schools, MI
- Marysville Public Schools, MI
- Mona Shores Public Schools, MI
- Wayland Union Schools, MI
- Grain Valley School District, MO
- Hancock Place School District, MO
- Harrisonville Cass R-IX School District, MO
- Kearney School District, MO
- Lee’s Summit R-VII School District, MO
- Parkway School District, MO
- Pattonville School District, MO
- Ritenour School District, MO
- Mooresville Graded School District, NC
- Northwest Public Schools, NE
- York Public Schools, NE
- Zuni Public Schools, NM
- Jamesburg Public Schools, NJ
- Lavallette and Bay Head School District, NJ
- Spotswood Public Schools, NJ
- Ballston Spa Central School District, NY
- Middletown City School District, NY
- Mineola UFSD
- Avonworth School District, PA
- Bethel Park School District, PA
- Carlynton School District, PA
- Centennial School District, PA
- Deer Lakes School District, PA
- Duquesne City, PA
- Downingtown Area School District, PA
- Ephrata Area School District, PA
- Fox Chapel Area School District, PA
- Garnet Valley Area School District, PA
- Hampton Township School District, PA
- Mars Area School District, PA
- Plum Borough School District, PA
- Steel Valley School District, PA
- Charlottesville City Schools, VA
- Department of Defense Education Activity, VA
- Henry County Public Schools, VA
- Loudoun County Public Schools, VA
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools, VA
- Chief Leschi Schools, WA
- Sun Prairie Area School District, WI
- Weston County School District #7, WY
#GoOpen Ambassador Districts
- Deer Valley Unified School District, AZ
- Grossmont Union High School District, CA
- Vista Unified School District, CA
- Williamsfield Community School District, IL
- Lawrence Public Schools, KS
- Hollister R-V School District, MO
- Liberty Public Schools, MO
- North Kansas City School District, MO
- Columbus Municipal School District, MS
- Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School, NY
- Mentor School District, OH
- Broken Arrow Public Schools, OK
- Central Valley School District, PA
- Upper Perkiomen School District, PA
- Bristol Tennessee Schools, TN
- Tullahoma City Schools, TN
- El Paso Independent School District, TX
- Mountain Heights Academy, UT
- Chesterfield County Public Schools, VA
- Hampton City Schools, VA
- Bethel School District, WA
- Puyallup School District, WA
- Kettle Moraine School District, WI
#GoOpen Supporting Organizations
#GoOpen supporting organizations are organizations that are doing complementary work in the field and that share a common commitment to increasing broad and open access to high quality learning resources for all students and educators. #GoOpen supporting organizations pledge time and resources to undertake the following:
- Attend a bi-monthly call of supporting organizations to share updates on new activities or resources.
- Contribute updates on new activities or resources relevant to #GoOpen states and districts to the monthly #GoOpen Newsletter.
- Continue to spread awareness about the #GoOpen Initiative, and connect states and districts interested in #GoOpen to the Department.
- Share news of our collaboration with #GoOpen with our networks through an initial email blast, post on our website, and email updates to members/affiliates.
Learn more about the additional activities our supporting organizations plan to undertake in support of the growing network of states and districts choosing to explore and expand the use of open educational resources.
Interested in becoming a #GoOpen Supporting Organization? Send us a note.
- Work with #GoOpen states to document their implementation strategies by developing case studies, articles, and blog posts that highlight promising state practices.
- Develop technical assistance resources to support #GoOpen state needs, particularly as it pertains to high-quality instructional strategies, standards alignment, and professional learning.
- Host and promote free webinars to spotlight the work of #GoOpen state leaders and open education issues, such as OER, research, open educational practice and curriculum.
- Author and/or support the development of articles and blog posts about #GoOpen and open education topics of interest.
- Document State and district #GoOpen and open education work through ongoing research and case studies, and sharing that information through future events.
- Present ongoing writing and research to states and districts through #GoOpen Regional Summits, open education events, and other opportunities for professional learning.
- Investigate OER practice in classroom and system settings and capture and share promising strategies emerging from the field on OER implementation with the #GoOpen community.
- Author and/or support the guest authoring of articles and blog posts about #GoOpen and open education topics of interest to be featured on TLA web sites.