Openly licensed educational resources support teachers as creative professionals by giving them the ability to adapt and customize learning materials to meet the needs of their students without breaking copyright laws.
District and state leaders are working alongside innovators from education technology companies and nonprofit organizations to share effective strategies and ideas, create new tools and provide professional learning opportunities that help educators find, adapt, create, and share resources. Read our #GoOpen Exchange press release and our Open Education Symposium fact sheet for more on these commitments.
Openly licensed educational resources have enormous potential to increase access to high-quality education opportunities in the United States. Switching to openly licensed educational materials has enabled school districts to repurpose funding typically spent on static textbooks for other pressing needs, such as investing in the transition to digital learning. Visit our Open Education page to learn how resources that are openly licensed can benefit schools.
What it means to #GoOpen
School districts that #GoOpen are committing to transition to using high-quality, openly licensed educational resources in their schools. These districts will be supported by #GoOpen Ambassador districts who have already taken steps toward implementing the use of openly licensed materials at the district-level.
#GoOpen Launch Districts will:
- Identify a district #GoOpen team who will work to develop a strategy for the implementation of openly-licensed educational materials.
- Commit to replace at least one textbook with openly-licensed educational materials in the next year.
- Document and share their implementation process.
#GoOpen Ambassador Districts will:
- Mentor #GoOpen Launch Districts as they design and implement their strategy for transitioning to openly licensed educational resources.
- Share the openly licensed materials they’ve created.
If you are interested in becoming a #GoOpen Launch or Ambassador District, please email email@example.com.
Implementing an Open Approach
Across the country, districts are choosing to #GoOpen and transitioning to the use of openly licensed educational resources to improve student learning in their schools. This resource is designed for districts that have decided to implement a systematic approach to incorporating openly licensed educational resources into their curriculum by becoming a #GoOpen District.
Upcoming #GoOpen Regional Summits
North Reading Public Schools
Friday, September 23, 2016 | Cambridge, MA
Vista Unified School District
Friday, October 7, 2016 | Vista, CA
Stories from the Field
Launch and Ambassador Districts using openly-licensed educational resources in their schools share strategies and advice for districts working to #GoOpen. By amplifying great stories and sharing good practices, we hope to connect districts, schools, and educators so they can learn from each other’s experiences.
Want to share your #GoOpen story? Send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org!
#GoOpen Launch Districts
- Decatur City Schools, AL
- Deer Valley Unified School District, AZ
- Coachella Valley Unified School District, CA
- Coronado Unified School District, CA
- Fallbrook Union Elementary School District, CA
- Grossmont Union High School District, CA
- Huntington Beach Union School District, CA
- Leadership Public Schools, CA
- Madera Unified School District, CA
- Mountain Empire Unified School District, CA
- Panama Buena Vista Unified School District, CA
- Riverside Unified School District, CA
- San Diego Unified School District, CA
- Vista Unified School District, CA
- Colonial Public Schools, DE
- Red Clay School District, DE
- Broward County Public Schools, FL
- Orange County Public Schools, FL
- Department of Defense Education Activity, GA
- DeKalb CUSD #428, IL
- Illini Bluffs Community School District #327, IL
- Macomb Community Unit School District #185, IL
- Urbana School District 116, IL
- Lawrence Public Schools, KS
- Burlington Public Schools, MA
- Medfield Public Schools, MA
- North Reading Public Schools, MA
- Anne Arundel Public Schools, MD
- Howard County Public Schools, MD
- Marlette Community Schools, MI
- Marysville Public Schools, MI
- Mona Shores Public Schools, MI
- Robbinsdale Area Schools, MN
- Affton School District, MO
- Fort Osage School District, MO
- Grain Valley School District, MO
- Kearney School District, MO
- Lee’s Summit R-VII School District, MO
- Liberty Public Schools, MO
- Ritenour School District, MO
- St. Clair R-13 School District, MO
- Mooresville Graded School District, NC
- Northwest Public Schools, NE
- Jamesburg Public Schools, NJ
- Ballston Spa Central School District, NY
- School District of Middletown, NY
- Mentor School District, OH
- Downingtown Area School District, PA
- Ephrata Area School District, PA
- Fox Chapel Area School District, PA
- Garnet Valley Area School District, PA
- Montour School District, PA
- Upper Perkiomen School District, PA
- El Paso Independent School District, TX
- Kettle Moraine School District, WI
- Sun Prairie Area School District, WI
#GoOpen Ambassador Districts
- Williamsfield Community School District, IL
- Columbus Municipal School District, MS
- Hollister R-V School District, MO
- North Kansas City School District, MO
- Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School, NY
- Broken Arrow Public Schools, OK
- Upper Perkiomen School District, PA
- Bristol Tennessee Schools, TN
- Tullahoma City Schools, TN
- Chesterfield County Public Schools, VA
- Bethel School District, WA